Hey, many topics and groups are in the private area.
For access to the entire community, register with us.

Smoking

edited July 2016 in Health & Medicine
I know this topic will raise a few eyebrows, but here we go:

I have always smoked since I was a teenager and never really felt the need to try and stop. When we planned to have a baby my husband and I discussed this issue and what I was going to do going forward. I have decided to stop during pregnancy but could not really imagine to stay a non-smoker to be honest. Luckily I managed to stop during pregnancy but right after I gave birth I had to have a cigarette.

I know a lot of people will not understand me but that´s okay. I spoke to the midwife who had to get the head nurse and they let me go for a cigarette with my mum.

For that I got a lot of nasty looks but that did not bother me too much. A few midwifes were really nice about it though. One said that she knows we are both grown-ups and that everybody knows that it is bad for your health. Which is true, I do know that and I do know smoke around my baby and when I went for a cigarette in the hospital I did wash my hands and brushed my teeth before I got my baby again.

So my question to smokers. Did you manage to stop for good or did you start again?

Mumofone

Comments

• I stopped smoking a long time ago, but I've heard good results for people using hypnotherapy to quit smoking. It can cause a lot of allergies for the baby. 2nd hand smoke and environmental smoke can be even more dangerous. I've read that even if you never smoke around a child and the smoke is on your clothes it can have a really serious effect.
  • I was just like you. Stopped while I was pregnant both times, but had to have one just as soon as I could after their birth. I don't smoke around the boys, not in the house and not in the car.