Hey, many topics and groups are in the private area.
For access to the entire community, register with us.

Breast Pumps

What is your experience using a breast pump? When did you begin pumping? What kind of pump did you use? Were you able to pump enough milk to feed your baby while working or with a babysitter?

I've heard some people have trouble pumping or that they can't get very much milk out. I think I'd like to start pumping in order to store some milk up just in case. Do you have any experience with this?

Comments

• I had a manual single pump. I don't remember the name of it. Pumping wasn't very successful so I stopped trying after awhile. Luckily I worked from home and continued to breastfeed exclusively. I could pump some milk but not much.
  • I've actually been able to hand express already. I'm curious to learn how easy it is for you to express after giving birth and if it changes with time or under certain types of circumstances.
  • I can still hand express 9 months in and when I had my pump I could still express milk even after I'd stopped breastfeeding for a little while. However I've never gotten more than an ounce at a time.
  • I've learned that you can get used breast pumps, but it's important to get a closed system rather than an open system. In a closed system the breastmilk does not touch the inner workings of the pump, therefore there is no risk of contamination from older milk.